Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What to Ask Your Characters

There have been a few books I have perusing over the past week. 20 Master Plots: and How to Build Them by Roland B. Tobias, 45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters by Victoria Lynn Schmidt, and A Writer's Guide to Characterization: Archetypes, Heroic Journeys, and Other Elements of Dynamic Character Development by Victoria Lynn Schmidt.

I have basically spent the past week trying to find my characters and find what drives them in the world. Pretty sad as I've written an entire book about theses suckers and you'd think I'd know. Maybe it's just some writers block. I know it is.

It's been hard going, as inspiration has been fleeting. Also, I hate those character sheets that are all over the place. They don't do anything for me to help chisel out my characters from the stone.

What is a writer to do? Ask the questions I really need answers to:

  1. What is your name?
  2. What do you look like?
  3. What do you think of your friends? Family? The world you live in?
  4. Why will readers love you?
  5. Why will readers hate you?
  6. Who are you at the beginning? 
  7. You are you in the middle?
  8. Who are you at the end?

What questions do you ask your characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment